Skip to main content

I-864, Affidavit of Support Affidavit of support for my Mother.

Irvine, CA |

I am the petitioner and the beneficiary is my mom. I am still confused on what type of I-864 to be filled. I assumed I-864EZ, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act since all three paragraphs applies to me, I am the only sponsor and all my salary is coming from my one job. Though as filing my taxes, me and my wife always do joint filing. is this will affect my plans on filling up the I-864EZ, or I need my wife to be the joint sponsor and we should file the 1-864 and I-864A?

My salary is good enough as only to be the sponsor so I am planning not to include my wife that's why the I-864EZ is the easiest to complete.

As for the Taxes summary, should we put both our earnings or just my own as per I-864EZ?

Attorney Answers 2


If you qualify based on your last year's income, then file the EZ version of the Form. Your wife needs to complete and sign the "A" Supplement. Type in your combined adjusted gross income with your wife you declared on your Form 1040 you filed together.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


You need to file I864 and your wife needs to through in I864A.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Tax law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics