Skip to main content

I-751 Waiver and RFE.

Houston, TX |

I married a USC in October 2011- Received my CPR in Feb 2012- I divorced her in October 2012. Marriage was in very bad shape. I initiated the divorce as she left me. So in totality i was just married with her for 11 months. In my initial I 751 waiver i submitted many documents like-
1) Joint Bank Statement
2) Lease of Apt
3) Affidavits from my Ex Spouse, Mother in law and my parents, in my favour.
4) Car title with both names we bought
5) Pictures
6) Health/Auto insurances
7) electric Bills
8) Toll Tag Bills Joint

I still received RFE about submitting more evidences, which i will be responding in few weeks. I am confused on what my chances are to get approve ? , My lawyer is saying i have a very slim chance and i might get deported as my marriage length was very short. Please advice

Attorney Answers 3


How long the marriage lasted is not the issue. Whether the marriage was for love, and not simply to obtain a green card, is.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

13 lawyers agree


Your lawyer knows the facts of your case and has seen the evidence. We have not. Either trust your lawyer, or hire another one to review what has been submitted.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


This is not a general question you ask. You are clearly in need of a legal advice. No problem, but not on AVVO. AVVO is a free general legal information blog, not a substitute for legal advice. Look for an attorney you would like to have a consultation with. You can use Find a Lawyer tab above, right here in AVVO. Select an attorney, contact them directly and schedule a consultation. You might be glad you did.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics