I-751 question

San Juan Capistrano, CA |

I am about to file for a I-751 waiver, but I did not live with my wife after the green card arrived and she petitioned for divorce approximately 1.5 months after I got my card. It was filed in California where it is a no fault state, so no complaint was declared. I have a feeling that the USCIS might reject me, but I would like to know if I could have a chance in front of the immigration judge or going away from my wife immediately after the green card is not going to looked at positively by the immigration judge either?

Whenever you file for a I-751 waiver, you need to show that you entered into the underlying marriage in good faith, and show the bona fides of the marriage. It doesn't matter if the adjudication is before the USCIS or the Immigration Judge.

You should definitely hire a good immigration lawyer who will be able to analyze the situation and guide you through this process. Good luck!

Great advice, thank you! You've been marked as helpful. So the underlying issue here is also showing the judge the same evidence that I would show to the USCIS, is this correct? I mentioned above that I have no documentations that the USCIS usually looks into, so that will leave me with the same situation in front of the judge. Your point is that the IJs will also want to look into joint checking, joint tax returns and such, right? The same scenario as with the USCIS?

Being successful before USCIS or an IJ would depend on whether you can show that the marriage was entered into in good faith, even though a separation immediately followed. I'd recommend you consult with and hire a reputable and experienced immigration attorney to help you with your waiver. Good luck.

[This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]

Why are you being so pessimistic? Your I-751 can still be won at the USCIS level by invoking one or more of the various exceptions that exist to the joint filing requirement. But you are certainly not going to solve your problem or get your case approved if you file the I-751 on your own by relying on general responses from a blog such as this one. Hire an immigration attorney now. Before it gets too late and you made lots of mistakes.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

There are a exceptions to the general rule involving I-751s but you should contact an attorney for help.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration