Skip to main content

I-751 petition to remove conditions of residence

Chicago, IL |

My friend's I-751 petition to remove conditions of residence has been approved and the card is currently in production. Meanwhile, my friend traveled to his home country and decided to surrender his greencard. Can he email USCIS asking them to stop production of green card?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Wow what a waste.He can try but it may already be on its way. He should also inform the local consulate so they are aware he voluntarily relinquished his green card.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.


He may email USCIS with the receipt number of the application. Whether they will actually stop the production is a different story. It could already be produced. If he receives it, he can mail it back and relinquish it. That is the best option from my perspective.

William Quirk, Esq. Meehan & Quirk, LLC 354 State Street, Hackensack, New Jersey (201)968-0800 The answers to questions provided by Mr. Quirk are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. This information is for informational purposes only and does not form any relationship between the individual asking the question and the attorney. You should investigate and consider all possible outcomes with a skilled individual before making a final decision.


Sure, he can ask them to do that.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


I don't think the USCIS will stop production of your friend's green card document (never heard of it). However, he could surrender his permanent residence status at the U.S. consulate of his home country.


I agree with my colleagues. It is unlikely that USCIS will stop the production. He can surrender his green card at the consulate.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer