Skip to main content

I-751 Pending Application and Employment

San Jose, CA |

I wanted to know with I-751 application pending and expired "Conditional Green Card", am i still authorized to work in the U.S. I heard USCIS will issue a receipt when I-751 is filed that includes a year extension period to the "Conditional Green Card". Do we know whether employers are familiar with the "receipt" that has the extension with an expired green card. I am in the process of changing jobs, just want to make sure i won't have an employment status related issue.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    If your employer isn't familiar with this .. have him/her read this:

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. You are OK. You do not need EAD. Employers are familiar. You can also go on infopass and have your passport stamped for a year.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. You are authorized to work. It will help to get a I-551 stamp on your passport evidencing the extension.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

  4. You shouldn't have a problem - if you do there is information you can provide to the new employer.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics