Skip to main content

I-751 Good Faith Marriage Waiver - Reasons for divorce - can I get my future ex husband in trouble?

Tampa, FL |

Hi I married my husband in June 2012, we never lived together until we got married, and once we shared a place I found out a lot of things about him I didn't like. He started doing drugs (which he blames the use on his experiences in the war overseas) he started over drafting my bank accounts to do drugs and spend it on things he wouldn't want to tell me about. He refused to get a job, so I basically had to support both of us, and then I found out he was cheating on me with two different women and he confessed to having a sexual addiction. I want to get a divorce, because this is not what I wanted, I rather take my chances with the good faith waiver and end up on going back home than staying married. If I explain what he did in my waiver, will I get him in trouble with the air force?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


No. The reasons for the divorce will not affect your ex spouse. However, you must demonstrate to USCIS that the marriage was bona fide in order to receive an approval of the I-751. I recommend you seek counsel for the preparation of your application.


You are correct not to stay in a bad marriage. Speak to an attorney now regarding the direction you want to take with your case.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


He will not be placed in trouble. First of all, the Air Force will not be privy to your I-751 petition.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:


I think it would be playing it safe by not mentioning the drug use. Many attorneys are not aware of the strict policies of the air force, especially as they relate to drugs. True, Air Force will not normally be able to Immigration files, but I would still say, keep the drug stuff out- you don't need it to make your case with the joint filing waiver. I would definitely have an attorney handle this one. Let me know if I can help. My husband's in the Air Force too. Emel Ersan, 4511 N. Himes Ave. (near the stadium). 813-449-4422.

This is only a short advice- you should not file anything without getting the full facts from a lawyer.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer