I-751 form for Wife & Daughter who applied for residency at same time.

Asked 12 months ago - Bradenton, FL

Even though they applied at the same time, the "backlog" at uscis caused her 7 year old daughter's application to take 10 months longer than my wife's. As I understand it, the 90-day window is based on when the green card was received, not when applied for, meaning we have to submit 2 different 751s, one for my wife now, and one for her daughter in 10 months. Is this correct, or can we include her daughter on the mother's 751?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Scott Douglas Devore

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . If your daughter was approved more than 90 days after your wife's green card was approved you do need to file two separate I-751's. That is unfortunate as it is going to cost you a second filing fee but that is the way that it is. You still should list all of your wife's children on the I-751 but you do need to file a separate Petition.

  2. Jeffrey Adam Devore


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Under these facts it will appear that two petitions will be required and each must be documented to stand on its own. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for advice on how best to proceed.

    While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You will need two I-751s.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,421 answers this week

2,709 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,421 answers this week

2,709 attorneys answering