I-751 denied and divorced now in removal proceedings

Asked 7 months ago - Fort Myers, FL

Married to a us citizen 2006, we divorced in 2012 , i-751 filed in 2009 was denied in 2011. Received a court date for removal proceedings. I have spoke to 4 lawyers, 1 lawyer suggests we should reapply i-751 self petition providing show married was in good faith, 2nd suggest I apply for relief as a buttered spouse ( a recap: my ex spouse was in deed very antagonizing, multiple times threatened to call immigration to deport me if i even left him. He called the police one incident when i stood up to him and i went to jail for domestic violence of which they later dropped because of no evidence. Lived in an abused shelter for 3+ months.) i' am confused on which lawyer to give my case because i get different responses towards my case. Please advice

1. Irene Vaisman

Pro

Answered . Sounds like you would be re-filing the I-751 with an abuse waiver.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created.
  2. Stephen D. Berman

Answered . You must file a new I-751, since the Immigration Judge cannot review the denied one, since you have a different basis than the one USCIS denied. You seem also to be eligible for a self petition as an abused spouse of a US citizen, VAWA Cancellation, and possible other benefits.

3. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

Answered . You can file both on the basis of divorce and if a use. You will have to prove good faith marriage either way.

Answers provided by Ksenia Maiorova, Esq. on Avvo.com are of a general nature and do not constitute legal advice.