Skip to main content

I-751 Abuse waiver question

San Clemente, CA |

When filing for I-751 based on abuse waiver when you are already divorced officially, what type of things should you provide for that abuse waiver. Can you claims that you were abused but simply writing a statement describing how you were abused, especially mentally, or a statement won't do it unless you have documented the abuse. I keep hearing that it's so easy to claim ause to get your green card, but it is that simple to simply say you were abused, come up with a story without any proof, and then get your green card even with little evidence of bonafide marriage. Can the USCIS deny your abuse waiver by any chance and if so, on what basis can they deny you for I-751 abuse. Also, is it as easy for a man to claim abuse by simply providing a paragraph of it as it is for a woman.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Best answer

    I deal with I-751 waiver almost daily. If you are already divorced or will be divorced in the next few months, you can file the I-751 case without mentionning any abuse but base your petition on "I entered the marriage in good faith but the marriage was terminated through divorce or annulment".
    A I-751 petition based on abuse is not that easy to do. A mere statement from you will not be sufficient.

  2. Impossible to present you with a list of possibly matching factors that should accompany your filing. You must work with a counsel closely to assemble an adequately convincing package based on factual evidence with bona fide proofs.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  3. Hello. Filing an I-751 based on abuse is a scary thing to do on your own and I strongly recommend that you proceed with an attorney who you trust. If USCIS decides that your marriage was not entered into in good faith, or that your abuse does not satisfy the requirement of "battered or subjected to extreme cruelty," then USCIS can put you into removal proceedings and try to deport you and take away your green card. Please find a good immigration attorney and proceed with caution.

    Good luck,

    Otis C. Landerholm, Esq.

  4. I agree with y colleagues. You need to hire an immigration attorney and soon. This is a type of an application, like most immigration applications, by the way, where profesional help may spell a difference between success and not.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  5. I agree with my colleagues. Consult with an experienced Immigration Attorney.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

  6. Some types of evidentiary proof that you can submit along with an i-751 Petition can be found at the link provided below.

    However, I agree that you should consult with an immigration attorney prior to filing; otherwise, you may subject yourself to penalties, including denial of future immigration benefits.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics