Skip to main content


Tampa, FL |

In filing for I-751 DO we need to submit Documents of joint cohabitation after the marriage itself( The immigration officer at ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS the interview took a lot of documents then which i do not even remember)
The documents after the conditional green card was APPROVED at the Adjustment of Status Interview?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


The Officer would like to see documents showing joint cohabitation after conditional residency was granted.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.


You should present documentary evidence to show that you have been in a good faith, bonafide marital relationship and that you continue to live together as a married couple even after the conditional "green card" was approved

Akanksha Kalra, Attorney at Law: 215-542-4905 or Disclaimer: The information provided here is generalized and should not be relied upon as legal advice. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Both. it is your burden to prove once again that your marriage is a real marriage and not one just for a green card.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Yes, absolutely. In supplying a reasonable amount of documents (accumulated since approval of the adjustment of status case) that demonstrates thoroughly the bona fides of your marriage, you reduce the likelihood that USCIS will even call you in for an interview on this case. That is not to say that they can't call you in for an interview, but supplying up-front bona fides evidence minimizes the chance of receiving a Request for Evidence letter or being asked to attend an interview.


The burden of proof is on the applicant so provide as much information of the bona-fide good-faith relationship from the date of marriage until now. Documents are taxes, bank statements, insurance, affidavits of family or friends, leases/mortgages/rental agreements, etc. etc. This is not a complete list. The more the better. Officers also like to see color pictures of the couple over the years so supply them. Any trips/honeymoons/vacations records should also be provided.


If I understand your answer correctly you are asking whether you need to submit the same documents you have already submitted or you need to submit additional documents that you did not submit previously.

The residence you gain at the beginning of the process is conditional and the purpose of that is for you to prove that this marriage is true so that the government can remove the condition on your residence. As I tell my clients every time they get approved for conditional residence, as you live your life during the 2-year conditional residence period you have to accumulate as much additional evidence of the marriage as possible. If you do that and you submit sufficient evidence to immigration when you file the I-751, they may approve it without even scheduling an interview.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer