I-485 questionnaire clarifications.

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

in I-485, the following question is asked: "Have you ever, in or outside the United States: been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, excluding traffic violations?"

I noticed that "fines" are included as well. Are late payment fees included by the statement above? For example, in my case, when I was in grad school, my advisor had to pay a late payment fee because we both forgot about the tuition fee of one semester.

1. Meredith Riley Brown

5

Answered . I agree with Mr. Moreno~the "fines" are read in the context of violating a criminal statute, not an administrative one. I believe that it is always a great idea to at least get an immigration attorney consult before applying for anything with USCIS, just in the abundance of caution.

2. Jose Antonio Moreno

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . No. It may read that way at first glance, but they are referring to "fined. . . for breaking or violating any law". You're fine.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

3

1

Answered . Mr. Moreno gave a 'fine' answer.