I-485 questionnaire clarifications.

San Diego, CA |

in I-485, the following question is asked: "Have you ever, in or outside the United States: been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, excluding traffic violations?"

I noticed that "fines" are included as well. Are late payment fees included by the statement above? For example, in my case, when I was in grad school, my advisor had to pay a late payment fee because we both forgot about the tuition fee of one semester.

No. It may read that way at first glance, but they are referring to "fined. . . for breaking or violating any law". You're fine.

I agree with Mr. Moreno~the "fines" are read in the context of violating a criminal statute, not an administrative one. I believe that it is always a great idea to at least get an immigration attorney consult before applying for anything with USCIS, just in the abundance of caution.

Mr. Moreno gave a 'fine' answer.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Jose Antonio Moreno

Jose Antonio Moreno

Touché, Signore professore.