Skip to main content

I-485 public assistance question?

Michigan City, IN |

The question number 2 asks if I have ever received public assistance in the United Sates from any source, including the U.S. Government or any State, county, city, or municipality (other than emergency medical treatment), or are you likely to receive public assistance in the future? I have received WIC for a short period, and I am unsure whether the answer to this question would be yes or no considering that.

I have also received emergency medicaid for labor and delivery

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You need to tell the truth and disclose both WIC and Medicaid on your I-485. USCIS can and often does run welfare checks on adjustment applicants, so lying will only create more problems. Answering yes is not necessarily fatal, but I strongly suggest you hire a reputable immigration attorney to represent you.

  2. You begin both sentences with "I have (also) received…" - so, in essence, you have answered your own question. You HAVE received public assistance, so you must disclose this on the I-485 application.

    Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

  3. The answer is no. WIC is a program for children not you.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics