I-485 primary approved, dependent pending

Milwaukee, WI |

My spouse and I applied for I-485 at the same time. Both of us did our fingerprint the same day too. I am the primary under EB-1 category and my I-485 got approved today. I checked my spouse's application and it is still in "Acceptance" status. Is this normal? How long is the wait for the dependent approval? Thanks.

1. Not unusual. Be patient.

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. Wait for 3-4 weeks, if you do not hear anything, either call them at 800-375-5283 or schedule an infopass.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

3. This type of situation is not unusual at all. Just be patient a little longer.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

4. It is normal and it can take any amount of time, even years if the visa becomes unavailable.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

5. This is normal. Be patient. Congratulations on your approval.

The information provided is intended for informational purposes only and should not substitute for the advice and counsel of an attorney. This information does not constitute legal advice. We ask that you consult with a lawyer, as your facts are unique and because each situation requires analysis from many different perspectives. We cannot be responsible if you rely on information based on this website without the consultation of an attorney.