I-485 Interview

West Covina, CA |

My spouse and I have an immigration interview for the green card, I received the notice that they requested the birth certificate for me and my spouse, who is a U.S. citizen, it is very hard to obtain a birth certificate to my spouse through the conflict in the home county. is there any other document might replace the birth certificate? also mine I just have a copy I do not have the original is this a problem in the interview?

What about my spouse, who is a U.S. Citizen, does she need a birth certificate?

First, you have to write the authorities in your home country and try to get a birth certificate. If that proves impossible, the USCIS will then allow you to submit secondary evidence like your passport, etc.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I agree with my colleague. You also need to get the birth certificate translated into English by competent translator who must properly certify the translation.

It's unclear whether other documents may also be required at the interview. Usually, applicants who file without attorney assistance forget these documents. As a result, yhe decision must be delayed until the proper documents are provided to the USCIS. Hopefully, you will be able to resolve this quite quickly. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Thank you for your responses, What about my spouse who is a U.S. Citizen, does she need also the birth certificate from her home country?

Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Usually, her naturalization certificate is good enough along with her state identification card, such as a drivers license and/or US passport. Her birth certificate with translation 'may' help if she is from the same country as you. However, it's unclear how much evidence you have of the relationship so I can't really decide whether this birth certificate document is strongly recommended.

I agree with your Best Answer Choice. The problem will, however, then become what secondary evidence to produce and how acceptable and reliable it is.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Your spouse is a US citizen but you do not have a birth certificate? Is the citizenship by naturalizatiion and how did they obtain that without a birth certificate? You need to try to get your birth certificate perhaps by a relative in your country. I have used affidavits when the certificate is not obtainable.

Recommended articles about Immigration