I-485 Interview

Asked 5 months ago - West Covina, CA

My spouse and I have an immigration interview for the green card, I received the notice that they requested the birth certificate for me and my spouse, who is a U.S. citizen, it is very hard to obtain a birth certificate to my spouse through the conflict in the home county. is there any other document might replace the birth certificate? also mine I just have a copy I do not have the original is this a problem in the interview?

Additional information

What about my spouse, who is a U.S. Citizen, does she need a birth certificate?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . First, you have to write the authorities in your home country and try to get a birth certificate. If that proves impossible, the USCIS will then allow you to submit secondary evidence like your passport, etc.

    Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with your Best Answer Choice. The problem will, however, then become what secondary evidence to produce and how acceptable and reliable it is.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more
  3. Kevin Lawrence Dixler


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. You also need to get the birth certificate translated into English by competent translator who must properly certify the translation.

    It's unclear whether other documents may also be required at the interview. Usually, applicants who file without attorney assistance forget these documents. As a result, yhe decision must be delayed until the proper documents are provided to the USCIS. Hopefully, you will be able to resolve this quite quickly. Good luck.

    This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  4. Rochelle Inger

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Your spouse is a US citizen but you do not have a birth certificate? Is the citizenship by naturalizatiion and how did they obtain that without a birth certificate? You need to try to get your birth certificate perhaps by a relative in your country. I have used affidavits when the certificate is not obtainable.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now