I-485 Interview

Asked 5 months ago - West Covina, CA

My spouse and I have an immigration interview for the green card, I received the notice that they requested the birth certificate for me and my spouse, who is a U.S. citizen, it is very hard to obtain a birth certificate to my spouse through the conflict in the home county. is there any other document might replace the birth certificate? also mine I just have a copy I do not have the original is this a problem in the interview?

What about my spouse, who is a U.S. Citizen, does she need a birth certificate?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

20

Best Answer

Answered . First, you have to write the authorities in your home country and try to get a birth certificate. If that proves impossible, the USCIS will then allow you to submit secondary evidence like your passport, etc.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . I agree with your Best Answer Choice. The problem will, however, then become what secondary evidence to produce and how acceptable and reliable it is.

3. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleague. You also need to get the birth certificate translated into English by competent translator who must properly certify the translation.

It's unclear whether other documents may also be required at the interview. Usually, applicants who file without attorney assistance forget these documents. As a result, yhe decision must be delayed until the proper documents are provided to the USCIS. Hopefully, you will be able to resolve this quite quickly. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  4. Rochelle Inger

Answered . Your spouse is a US citizen but you do not have a birth certificate? Is the citizenship by naturalizatiion and how did they obtain that without a birth certificate? You need to try to get your birth certificate perhaps by a relative in your country. I have used affidavits when the certificate is not obtainable.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now