I 485 Interview -- Denied options

Asked over 2 years ago - Pittsburgh, PA

Currently my I 485 case is pending(primary) and iam on H1B. It seems i may get an interview notice. My wife(Dependant on my 485) entered country on H4 and has valid H4 stamp on her passport till Oct 2012. We then applied for COS to H1b which expires on Mar 31 2012, and we were planning to use her EAD after H1 expires.

Based on the above scenario if we move her on EAD and my AOS is denied what happens to her status then and what are the options we have.

Can she go out of country and enter back on H4 as her H4 stamp on her passport is valid till Oct 12 or she need to go to stamping for US consulate and change status there to H4 based on my approved H1B.

Is her H4 stamping is valid and can be used to enter country back or it is invalidated once she moved to H1 in Jan 2011.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Neil Ian Fleischer

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If she changes status, and leaves the US.. she will need a new visa. IF she has advanced parole, she can use that. HOWEVER, the 485 is denied, she will not be maintaining lawful on-immigrant status, and could be placed in removal proceedings. If you feel there is a risk of your case being denied, you should plan accordingly and apply for an H-4 for her

    Good luck


    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 www.immigrate2usa.com Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you do not maintain your H-1B status, you severely limit your options and the options available in that instance would require traveling back to your country for visa stamps.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Jason Todd Lorenzon

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues who have provided you with excellent answers. Consult with an immigration attorney to go over the specifics of your case.

    Mr. Lorenzon's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now