I-485 application -- which one to submit to USCIS: the original or photocopy of my birth certificate?

Lansing, MI |

The instruction says "a copy of your birth certificate", so does it refer to the original or photocopy of the birth certificate?
Is the original birth certificate acceptable? A friend told me not to send the originals to USCIS and I'm confused.
Thanks!

To USCIS you only submit a COPY of your certified birth certificate and English language translation (if applicable), NEVER the original (unless you'd like to kiss it bye bye..)

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Send a copy.

This is general information and not legal advise. This communication does not create a lawyer-client relationship.

3. Did you just ask a question about the filing location?

If so, this is another example of how the process isn't 'relatively easy'.

What you call an original isn't really an original ... it's a copy also. The original is in the government office which issued the certified copy that you are probably think is an original.

Clear? No, of course not .. it's not an easy process.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.