I-485, where you inspected by a U.S. Immigration Officer ? HELP !!!!

Asked over 2 years ago - Rockville, MD

I'm a J1 visa holder, traveled to Canada, reveived a stamp from the Border Protection in my passport. I'm filing I-485 right now, and am struggeling with the question if i was inspected by a U.S Immigration Officer the last time i entered the States.
Questions : Do i check mark ´inspected´ or ´not´ ?
Or, is going into Canada not defiened as leaving the U.S ?

1. Philip Alan Eichorn

2

Answered . This is your second post. Perhaps its time for you to hire a lawyer to prepare this application for you. This message board is designed for guidance and not for people to ask multiple questions to fill out their applications. There are some excellent attorneys in your area that routinely handle these cases. Feel free to contact me for a referral or use aila lawyer search and/or avvo for such attorneys.

2. Peter Hills Acker

2

Answered . I agree with the above attorneys. I highly recommend that you at least consult with a well qualified immigration attorney about your case. Immigration laws are extremely complex and every small detail has the potential to affect a case in an enormous way.

Generally speaking, if one appears before an immmigration officer or CBP officer at the border or port of entryu then that is usually considered an inspection at the border.

Departing the United States and entering a foreign country is usually considered leaving the United States. However, this does not necessarily have any effect on the 2 year foreign residency requirement of some J-1 visas. The foreign residency requirement usually requires a person to return to their country of birth. However, this is something that you should consult with an immigration attorney about.

Again, as the above attorney stated, I HIGHLY recommend that you speak with an immigration attorney about your specific case. This forum only provides general information and should under no circumstances be taken as complete individualized advice.

3. Neil Ian Fleischer

1

Answered . When you re-entered the United States, sis you show the CBP officer your visa? If so, you were inspected