I-20 is terminated and need to transfer to another school.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Jonesboro, AR

My I-20 was terminated because I have failed to maintain my full-time status (registered in 11 credit hours instead of 12). Now, I am currently in a 2 year college and I will be graduating with an A.S degree in 3 months. I will need to transfer to another 4 year college to finish a Bachelor degree, but in the same time I need to fill a I-539 form and apply for a reinstatement. So, My question is if I apply for a reinstatement now and I get admitted by the 4 year college that I am applying to, will my I-539 application keep going on process or will it be canceled? and What is the right thing to do in my case?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The right way would be to get reinstated and then extend your status.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more
  2. Cindy Medina

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague.

  3. Igor A. Voloshen

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You should first get reinstated and then extend your status. As you may know, you may not engage in a course of study until you have a valid F-1 status, which means have a valid status with SEVIS. As such, if you begin your course of study before being reinstated, this may actually appear as you violating the terms of the F-1 visa and be basis for denial.

    The comments provided are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

F1 student visa

The F-1 is the most common visa for students and exchange visitors attending academic institutions in the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,315 answers this week

3,329 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,315 answers this week

3,329 attorneys answering