I-20 is terminated and need to transfer to another school.

Jonesboro, AR |

My I-20 was terminated because I have failed to maintain my full-time status (registered in 11 credit hours instead of 12). Now, I am currently in a 2 year college and I will be graduating with an A.S degree in 3 months. I will need to transfer to another 4 year college to finish a Bachelor degree, but in the same time I need to fill a I-539 form and apply for a reinstatement. So, My question is if I apply for a reinstatement now and I get admitted by the 4 year college that I am applying to, will my I-539 application keep going on process or will it be canceled? and What is the right thing to do in my case?

1. The right way would be to get reinstated and then extend your status.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney http://www.shautsova.com Blog: http://www.russianspeakinglawyerny.com

2. I agree with my colleague.

3. I agree with my colleagues. You should first get reinstated and then extend your status. As you may know, you may not engage in a course of study until you have a valid F-1 status, which means have a valid status with SEVIS. As such, if you begin your course of study before being reinstated, this may actually appear as you violating the terms of the F-1 visa and be basis for denial.

The comments provided are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Information provided as part of this posting, does not create an attorney-client relationship between the attorney and the questioner. The opinions expressed are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.