I-20 is terminated and need to transfer to another school.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Jonesboro, AR

My I-20 was terminated because I have failed to maintain my full-time status (registered in 11 credit hours instead of 12). Now, I am currently in a 2 year college and I will be graduating with an A.S degree in 3 months. I will need to transfer to another 4 year college to finish a Bachelor degree, but in the same time I need to fill a I-539 form and apply for a reinstatement. So, My question is if I apply for a reinstatement now and I get admitted by the 4 year college that I am applying to, will my I-539 application keep going on process or will it be canceled? and What is the right thing to do in my case?

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

3

5

Answered . The right way would be to get reinstated and then extend your status.

2. Cindy Medina

3

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

3. Igor A. Voloshen

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You should first get reinstated and then extend your status. As you may know, you may not engage in a course of study until you have a valid F-1 status, which means have a valid status with SEVIS. As such, if you begin your course of study before being reinstated, this may actually appear as you violating the terms of the F-1 visa and be basis for denial.