I-140 Daniel Status

Asked 3 months ago - Philadelphia, PA

Dear Lawyers,

My I-140 got denied on 04/30/2014 and I got a status mail in the after noon since I have setup the auto email update. However later in the night I got an another mail that is post decision activity with the status as below. On April 30, 2014, we mailed you a notice informing you that your I140, IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR ALIEN WORKER, was reopened. If you have not received the notice within 30 days of the date above, please call customer service at 1-800-375-5283 for further assistance. If you move, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address

My question is what do they mean by "Was Reopened" ?

I only have 5 months left on my H1-B. What other options am I looking at to get the H1 extension beyond 6th year?

Thanks
Karthik

1. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . The online notification system can be confusing at times--who knows whether that is due to data entry errors or whether it is technical. In any case, what happened here is that the case was likely denied, then the case was reopened. This means that for the moment the case is nether denied nor approved, but still pending--as if you never got the first email at all. With respect to H-1B extensions, a three year extension is possible if the I-140 is approved. You also may be able to recapture time spent outside of the U.S., if applicable. You can discuss this as well as other nonimmigrant visa options (E-2, F-1), if applicable, with an immigration attorney.

2. Jagbir Singh Terkiana

Answered . I-140 approved, MTR pending or appeal pending, will make you eligible for post 6 year extension. Discuss these rules in detail with your attorney.

3. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

Answered . It sounds like someone filed a motion to reopen (MTR) the denial; reopening means that the denial is being reconsidered and may be reversed. Perhaps it was your employer's lawyer who filed the MTR. You should talk to him.