I-130 still under initial review after 9 months!

Long Beach, CA |

Hi, I'm a US Citizen and I filed an I-130 for my husband in November 2010, when we check our case status online it shows that our petition is being processed at a USCIS office..When we call they always tell me to wait.. This can't be right! 9 months for a petition that should only take 5 at the CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER.. Is it taking longer cause he took volountary departure (overstayed his visa waiver) the same month we filed? he has no criminal background and we need this petition approved so he can file I-212 at the consulate but this petition seems to take forever... any advice would be appreciated.

Hello,

The USCIS is notorious for incorrect or overdue processing times. I would be happy to inquire about your case status for you. Feel free to send me an email.

Franklin Tzeng, Esq.

This response is not legal advice or opinion and should not be construed as such. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Franklin Tzeng, Esq. is a practicing immigration attorney in Alhambra, CA. For more information, please visit facebook.com/franklintzengesq (Facebook Page), franklintzeng.com (Main Page), or franklintzengesq.com (Immigration Law Page).

Hello,

Franklin Tzeng, Esq.

Anything out of the ordinary can delay a case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I have found that it helps to follow up a few times about delayed cases in writing. It is quite possible that an immigration officer is sitting on your case. Making inquiries in writing may help.

Disclaimer: the above answer should not be considered, and does not constitute, legal advice. You should not rely on this answer because each case is fact specific and could be subject to different local, state, and federal laws. My response does not create an attorney-client relationship between us.

Recommended articles about Immigration