I-130 interview. What could happen that day, best and worst case scenario?

Yes, we have a lawyer and we are not second-guessing him. Can any attorneys who have assisted clients in such interviews share their experience in situations when the alien had entered with a fraudulent passport and has used all legal means to become legal, but without success, and is now married to a USC and seeking to reopen an deportation case (after an approval of I-130)? The question is not WHAT TO DO AT THIS POINT but rather WHAT COULD MOST LIKELY HAPPEN during or after the interview. Is there enough time to argue the case with ICE in case they come around? Thank you in advance.

Tampa, FL -

Neil Ian Fleischer

Neil Ian Fleischer

Immigration Attorney - Cincinnati, OH

The I-130 interview is solely to go over the bona fides of the marriage. If he has a prior deportation order, worst-case scenario is that ICE can arrest him. Best-case, I-130 is approved and you can re-open removal proceedings.

Rebecca T White

Rebecca T White

Immigration Attorney - Seattle, WA

The I-130 interview will be only focused on the good faith nature of the marriage. The other issues - the entry with a fraudulent passport, the old removal case - those all go to whether or not he can adjust his status.

If the prior removal was not related to a criminal matter, it is unlikely that ICE would pick him up at the I-130 interview. However, your attorney is going to have far more information and will be able to give you a much better idea of what to expect with the I-130 interview.

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

As you stated, you have a lawyer. He/she knows the facts of your case. We do not. You therefore need to be asking your questions from your lawyer.

Marc Damien Sean Taylor

Marc Damien Sean Taylor

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

Each case is different, so it is very hard to extrapolate from our cases to determine what is going to happen in your case. Many factors can impact on the decision, like for instance the officer assigned to your case. But I am sure that your attorney has discussed this with you and your wife.

I agree with Neil, worst-case scenario is you get arrested and best-case scenario it gets approved.

Jose Antonio Moreno

Jose Antonio Moreno

Immigration Attorney - Jacksonville, FL

A motion to reopen removal proceedings should be filed either with the immigration court with jurisdiction or the BIA. Worst-case scenario is he can be detained at the interview. As far as what is most likely, your attorney would be your best resource to obtain this answer.