I-130 Form Signature

Redmond, WA |

Is it OK to sign in black ink?

Same question goes for Biographic Information form. I just wonder if black ink signature is OK. Nowadays we have color laser copiers, so having signature in blue just to distinguish an original from the copy seems obsolete, however USCIS may differ in opinion, but they do not provide a specific guideline on the signature's ink color to use.

The USCIS prefers black ink. They scan these documents into their virtual database and the scanner they use does not always pick up the blue ink.

Technically, yes, but I always tell clients to sign with blue ink, because USCIS on occasion will reject a form with a black signature saying it is a photocopy not an original signature. We sign in blue to avoid that confusion. Note the forms should be completed in black. Only the signature should be blue

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Black or blue ink is acceptable.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics

Recommended articles about Form I-130 (alien relative)