I was falsely accused for leaving the scene of an accident with injury to a pedestrian. 6 mos now and citation never filed.

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

I was falsely accused for leaving the scene of an accident with injury to a pedestrian. I was not at the scene of the accident when it happened and police reports and witnesses show that he was hit by a car that is totally different than the car I drive and I do not know of anyone that drives a car he was hit by, PO gave me citation 6 mos ago but, citation was never filed into the court docket. I appeared in court on the date stated on the citation but, clerk said nothing was entered. Told just to wait till it appears. Some lawyers I have spoken to said to file motions for dismissal and some said don't do anything until the citation is actually filed ! Any suggestions as what is the right thing to do ?

Based on what you have related in your question, which obviously only provides very limited informatin with which to attempt to put together a response, it seems to me that the obvious choice is to DO NOTHING. THIS INCLUDES STAYING OFF ALL SOCIAL WEB SITES, OR BETTER STATED, REFRAINING FRO DISCUSSING THE MATTER ON ALL SOCIAL WEB SITES, as I see so many geniuses do on a daily basis. At the moment, you don't know why the matter did not appear on calendar on the day on which it was originally set. It is not your burden to advance the charges, or charges, against you. LSA w/ injury is not the type of incident that typically results in nothing more than a citation. Frankly, I am very surprised that you weren't arrested on the day in question. If you were not at the scene of the accident at the time of the accident, then I am assuming that you were not there when police arrived. You said you were given a citation.

Please give me a bit more to work with by adding a comment to my answer, because so far what you have stated is self-contradictory.

I'm wondering if you may have an outstanding warrant, but don't panic yet, just give me the information, and don't use names.

We are pleased to offer a free thirty (30) minute initial telephone consultation, or, if possible, will attempt to schedule a free thirty (30) minute initial office consultation. Neither this offer of a free initial consultation, nor the mere fact that the initial consultation may have ultimately been conducted, whether telephonically or at our office location, should be construed; assumed; interpreted; or understood by any individual who was granted a free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort whatsoever was tendered, to have formed or created an attorney-client relationship, or to have created any obligations owed by the attorney or attorney's firm to any individual who was given a free initial consultation, by the mere undertaking of the free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort was tendered to attorney or attorney's firm. The formation of an attorney-client relationship occurs through the process of negotiation between the prospective parties, the individual seeking legal representation, and the attorney, acting individually, or as an agent of a firm (the capacity in which the attorney is acting shall be disclosed to prospective client, if negotiations for legal representation in exchange for good and valuable consideration are undertaken by the prospective client and the attorney. If agreement is reached by and between the parties for legal representation after the mutually satisfactory negotiation of the agreement for legal representation, and all of its individual terms; the scope of representation to be provided by the attorney to the prospective client has been delineated to the mutual satisfaction of the parties; the manner of payment of good and valuable consideration by the prospective client to the attorney has been determined; and it has been conceded by the parties that all of those factors upon which agreement had been reached by the parties and which were recited herein, had been agreed upon by the parties only after careful consideration and sufficient review of the document styled Agreement for Legal Representation, and after it has likewise been conceded by the parties that each respectively had been presented with the opportunity to have the document reviewed independently by each respective party's personal attorney, or any other attorney of his or her chooosing. If the Agreement for Legal Representation contains terms regarding contingency fee agreement or agreements for payment to the attorney for all or a portion of his or her services and legal representation on behalf of the Client, Client concedes that he or she has been presented with an additional document entitled "Statement of Client's Rights", which is a document created by the Florida Bar and approved for use in matters in which payment in full or part, is tendered by contingency fee agreement. Please note that any commentary or response offered through this site is based on the limited set of facts and background data supplied by the individual framing the question and would in all likelihood require more investigation before a complete response could properly be framed to thoroughly answer the question posed. No attorney-client relationship is, or should be presumed to be, formed through the comments or responses provided to the individual posing the question, as a courtesy, here, through this forum, nor should any other duties or obligations be construed; assumed; or otherwise be inferred to exist and/or owed to the individual who posed the question by the attorney who provided the best guidance possible to said individual under the circumstances presented as they were, including the unreasonable assumption that a full and thorough legal analysis of an individual's situation could be formulated simply based on the minute portion of the entirety of the facts and circumstances surrounding any legal matter, which could in no manner possibly be presented here in such a form which would allow for a thorough analysis, evaluation, or legal opinion to be formed by the Attorney.

2. That is a question to ask of a local criminal defense attorney.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

3. It is tough to give you a complete answer. However, just from your comments I can tell you that the issue of Speedy Trial may come to fruition very soon. Again, it is tough to say without having the court file to review. You are certainly in a odd procedural situation, nevermind the obvious factual issues in your case.

Please contact our office for a full criminal consultation and we can discuss options.

Lastly, and most importantly, based on what you have described, PLEASE do not communicate with the court or the State in anyway without a competent lawyer