Skip to main content

I, the alleged father, have applied for paternity testing with the General Attorney's Office.

Houston, TX |

I am the alleged father of a 9 year old. Before the child was born the mother refused any help of any kind and stated she didn't want me to be in the child's life even though I wanted to. A year later I asked the mother for a DNA test and she refused and threatened to call immigration on me because of my legal status. I was in fear and didn't proceed to do anything. It's been too long now and I feel I deserve to know if it's my child. I contacted her 1 week ago asking for a DNA test and she still refused. I filled out an application for paternity through the General Attorney's Office online and am now waiting to hear back from them. My legal status is still the same as it was 8 years ago. Will this effect me in anyway by pursuing this case of paternity and the rights to see "my "child?

Attorney Answers 3


The Attorney General Child Support Division is not interested in your immigration status. Nor is the Family Court. You do deserve to know and the child deserves two parents.

This does not establish an attorney/client relationship

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


A private attorney may be able to move your case along a little faster. Otherwise, it sounds like you are on the right track.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with both attorneys responding to your post. Good luck!

My response herein is an attempt to give you general information and direction and is not intended to constitute an attorney-client relationship as perceived by state law.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics