I. Recently took a plea of misdemeanor assault sub sec 4.. The judge ordered me to pay restitution to victim $30,000, R or W?

Asked over 1 year ago - Madera, CA

It was a fistfight with my x wife's boyfriend. I was dropping off my x wife and all her stuff at his house. He took oppeerunity too confront me and a few punches later he had a broken jaw. He claimed his doc bills totaled 30,000 . His bills were payed by victims res fund.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Joseph Briscoe Dane


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You have a right to a restitution hearing to have the court determine what, if any, recitation you owe. No matter who paid the medical bills, you would be responsible for paying the restitution.

    The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact... more
  2. Donald Gray Drewry


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You are always responsible for the restitution in a criminal case. In fact, if you don't pay, you can have your probation revoked, and you cannot get off probation until the restitution is paid. You may be entitled to a hearing and see that actual damages of the billing, but be careful. If he only requested the medical bills, he may ask for lost wages and they will award it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,091 answers this week

2,962 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,091 answers this week

2,962 attorneys answering