I received divorce papers from my ex who cheated and deserted me. I can't afford lawyer can Ierh

Asked about 2 months ago - Shippensburg, PA

Can I ignore papers and not sign anything? What happens can't afford lawyer she cheated and deserted me

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kathryn L. Hilbush


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . His cheating and lying will likely have no impact on his ability to get a divorce. However, if he is able to proceed with the divorce before you protect whatever rights you may you have relating to your marriage, you may lose your right to ever pursue them. Read the Notice to Defend at the beginning of the papers you received. Take this seriously and do not ignore the divorce complaint. Instead schedule a consultation with an experienced family law attorney in your area as soon as possible as there may be time sensitive issues involved. Even if you don't think you can afford to hire an attorney, you can at least learn your rights and options

    Be sure to click Best Answer if you found this helpful. Disclaimer: Please note that this response does not in any... more
  2. Jeanne B. Costopoulos

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . There is no requirement to file a response. Also, the divorce cannot be finalized even if you agree until 90 days have passed from the date you were served with the complaint. If he makes more money than you, you can file for spousal support at domestic relations. She can seek to finalize the divorce without your participation or consent once two years have passed since the date of your separation. Therefore, if you are seeking money or you need court involvement to divide your assets and debts, you should preserve your claims by filing them before the 2 years expires.

    The above answer is intended solely for general informational purposes and does not create an attorney client... more
  3. Robin Jean Gray


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . If she filed for the divorce and you do not do anything, she will eventually be able to obtain the divorce. If you have been separated for over two years, she will be able to get the divorce fairly quickly. If you have not been separated for over two years (and there are no other fault counts in the divorce complaint) and you do nothing, she will have to wait for two years from the date of separation in order for her to obtain a divorce. You really should seek the advice of an attorney to make sure all of your rights are protected.

    This answer is for informational purposes only. It does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Refusal to Sign Divorce Papers

Refusal to sign divorce papers does not mean a spouse is "stuck" in the marriage. Instead, refusing to sign means the divorce goes to trial.

Joanna Marie Mitchell

FAQ's regarding Divorce

What is an uncontested divorce? An uncontested divorce is when there are no disputed or disagreed on issues. A common misconception is that it is an uncontested divorce when the divorce... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,146 answers this week

3,075 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,146 answers this week

3,075 attorneys answering