I' m a us citizen and want to marry my girlfriend she lives in Ghana. has no children. how do i get her into the country

Asked over 1 year ago - Boynton Beach, FL

She has no visa or green card. i qualify financially and we are age appropriate. What do we do

1. Philip Alan Eichorn

6

1

Best Answer

Answered . If you're not married and you've physically met her within the past two years, you can file for a fiance visa and she can process through the consulate. If you haven't met her then do so and consider marrying at that time and filing the marriage visa petition instead of the fiance visa case. And consider retaining counsel to represent you throughout the process.

2. Carlos E Sandoval

5

Answered . You may file a fiancee petition on her behalf, provided that you have seen her personally within the last two years. Or you can marry her and file an alien relative petition. Consult with an experienced immigration lawyer to explain to you how the process works.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

6

1

Answered . My colleagues have given you two good options.

4. Lynne Rogers Feldman

5

Answered . two options -- 1) go there an marry her and file for an immigrant visa for her. It takes about 7-12 months; or 2) if you have had at least one face-to-face meeting within the last two years you can file for a fiancee visa. this also takes about 7-12 months and you are required to get married within 90 days after she arrives and then complete the process for her to become a permanet resident.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277
    email: lynne@feldmanfeldman.com
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law