I' m a us citizen and want to marry my girlfriend she lives in Ghana. has no children. how do i get her into the country

Boynton Beach, FL |

She has no visa or green card. i qualify financially and we are age appropriate. What do we do

If you're not married and you've physically met her within the past two years, you can file for a fiance visa and she can process through the consulate. If you haven't met her then do so and consider marrying at that time and filing the marriage visa petition instead of the fiance visa case. And consider retaining counsel to represent you throughout the process.

Thank you very much Mr. Eichorn I may need you in the future

You may file a fiancee petition on her behalf, provided that you have seen her personally within the last two years. Or you can marry her and file an alien relative petition. Consult with an experienced immigration lawyer to explain to you how the process works.

My colleagues have given you two good options.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

very helpful thank you all Bill

two options -- 1) go there an marry her and file for an immigrant visa for her. It takes about 7-12 months; or 2) if you have had at least one face-to-face meeting within the last two years you can file for a fiancee visa. this also takes about 7-12 months and you are required to get married within 90 days after she arrives and then complete the process for her to become a permanet resident.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277
email: lynne@feldmanfeldman.com
website: www.immigrateme.com

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law

Education law topics