I forgot to pay my ticket for driving w/cellphone I dont have the $505, if I set a court date might I have to pay $950(teacher)

Asked over 5 years ago - Torrance, CA

I forgot to pay a cellphone ticket. I got a letter stating I owed $805 now. I'm worried if i wait until a court date the judge could make me pay the whole thing. I am a teacher in California and Summer School was cancelled. i have absolutely NO money-not even a credit card. I had just enough to pay the original 136 on the ticket. Should I just wait or search to borrow the money from a family member (not a great option). I am a teacher in a very low-income LA school, if that helps. THANK YOU!!!!!

1. John M. Kaman

Pro

Answered . I don't understand how the original $136 turned into an $805 obligation as you said you had the money to pay the original fine. Actually going to traffic court might get you some reduction in fine but I can't tell based on your facts. I would suggest a traffic lawyer but if you have no money that won't work. Forgetting is not an excuse judges like to hear. If you can come up with something better you may get some relief.