Skip to main content

I, as a person, am being sued for unfair competition, with allegations that I stoled customer information, will insurance cover?

North Hollywood, CA |

My previous employer began litigation against me for allegedly stealing confidential consumer information and competing against them by approaching these customers. I hired an attorney and based on his recommendations and the fact that "witnesses" for the alleged fraudulent activity were coming up left and right, we settled the case (originally about 250k), settled for 50k in monthly payments. I have business insurance, will this cover it?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. It depends on the specific terms and provisions of the policy as coverage is defined. Many but not all insurance contracts specifically exclude coverage for willful unlawful acts.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

  2. As Ms. Mccall has noted, intentional torts are rarely covered by insurance, and that fact that you appear to have settled the matter without involving your insurance company and giving them an opportunity to defend you, may also preclude coverage under your policy. Nevertheless, you can get your answer by having your policy reviewed in its entirety by a local attorney, who can advise you of your rights, options and responsibilities, and perhaps certain related procedures that will be most favorable to you now and/or in the future. You can also simply ask your insurer. Good luck!

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

  3. you can tender it to the insurance carrier and see. However, this should have been done at the beginning of the case.