I am being sued for ADA access by a person who has filed 2 similar lawsuits against similar small business within two years.

Redwood City, CA |

I have a small restaurant business, although I have handicap parking, I need to add a ramp. I also need to modify the restroom. I am looking for an experienced lawyer with ADA knowledge and also expereince with this type of lawsuit. Can you recommend anyone? please email me at

This Q&A site is not a place to recruit attorneys, nor is it a place for attorneys to recruit clients. You need to look to the Find A Lawyer part of this site.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

This is a common problem that small business owners have had to handle. Some attorneys have gotten in serious trouble for bringing these types of lawsuits. A number of us can guide you in the right direction. Best of luck.

Free consultation. Direct line- 855-637-0938 .24/7. Video/Phone/In-Person. I provide my clients with honest, thoughtful advice and diligent, vigorous representation in a number of practice areas. I serve Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, Santa Barbara and San Diego Counties. I wouldn't take any of my answers on as legal advice since there are still too many factors that need to be discussed before I can give you a reliable opinion.

The fact that the plaintiff filed multiple lawsuits probably won't make any difference in your defense of such ADA accessibility lawsuit. Is this a federal court or state superior court action? Most civil rights attorneys who practice in this area will advise you to settle earlier rather than later. Regardless, if you are looking for an attorney, and if the lawsuit was a state superior court lawsuit filed after September 19, 2012, then all of the requirements and restrictions of the new legislation (SB 1186) apply.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business