I am being sued for ADA access by a person who has filed 2 similar lawsuits against similar small business within two years.

Asked about 1 year ago - Redwood City, CA

I have a small restaurant business, although I have handicap parking, I need to add a ramp. I also need to modify the restroom. I am looking for an experienced lawyer with ADA knowledge and also expereince with this type of lawsuit. Can you recommend anyone? please email me at josofia88@gmail.com

1. Neil Pedersen

3

Answered . This Q&A site is not a place to recruit attorneys, nor is it a place for attorneys to recruit clients. You need to look to the Find A Lawyer part of this site.

Good luck to you.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

1

Answered . The fact that the plaintiff filed multiple lawsuits probably won't make any difference in your defense of such ADA accessibility lawsuit. Is this a federal court or state superior court action? Most civil rights attorneys who practice in this area will advise you to settle earlier rather than later. Regardless, if you are looking for an attorney, and if the lawsuit was a state superior court lawsuit filed after September 19, 2012, then all of the requirements and restrictions of the new legislation (SB 1186) apply.

3. Aalok Sikand

Answered . This is a common problem that small business owners have had to handle. Some attorneys have gotten in serious trouble for bringing these types of lawsuits. A number of us can guide you in the right direction. Best of luck.