Husband won't add me to his will!!!!

Menlo Park, CA |

He says it's because he doesn't like to talk about death, but husband won't add me to will. We have been married 3.5 years. Every time I ask him about it, he says he will do it soon.
Legally, I would like to know what happens if he dies.
He has a son (age 9, lives with us 1/2 time) and we have a son (age 17 mos). He has revocable living trust. I believe he's named me as executor - not beneficiary. I signed a prenup (a few days before our marriage) that says his previous assets are not mine, including the house we live in. Does that mean I can't stay here if he dies? Will I be on the street, managing my step-son's estate from the YMCA?! And what about our son? Does he have a right to anything?

I know you will say he needs to create a new will. That's obvious. What if he does not?

You cannot force your husband to add you to his Will or designate you as a beneficiary in his living trust. If you signed a prenuptial the terms of that agreement would have to be consulted before anyone could advise you regarding what would happen regarding your husband’s estate if he pre-deceased you. The terms of his revocable trust would also have to be consulted, as well as his present Will.

The following Probate Code sections govern when there is an omitted spouse:

21610. Except as provided in Section 21611, if a decedent fails to provide in a testamentary instrument for the decedent's surviving spouse who married the decedent after the execution of all of the decedent's testamentary instruments, the omitted spouse shall receive a share in the decedent's estate, consisting of the following property in said estate:
(a) The one-half of the community property that belongs to the decedent under Section 100.
(b) The one-half of the quasi-community property that belongs to the decedent under Section 101.
(c) A share of the separate property of the decedent equal in value to that which the spouse would have received if the decedent had died without having executed a testamentary instrument, but in no event is the share to be more than one-half the value of the separate property in the estate.

21611. The spouse shall not receive a share of the estate under Section 21610 if any of the following is established:
(a) The decedent's failure to provide for the spouse in the decedent's testamentary instruments was intentional and that intention appears from the testamentary instruments.
(b) The decedent provided for the spouse by transfer outside of the estate passing by the decedent's testamentary instruments and the intention that the transfer be in lieu of a provision in said instruments is shown by statements of the decedent or from the amount of the transfer or by other evidence.
(c) The spouse made a valid agreement waiving the right to share in the decedent's estate.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Thanks for the probate code!

Yikes, these are questions that should have been raised BEFOE you were married and certainly before you signed a prenuptial agreement. And heaven help you if you signed the prenup without consulting with counsel. You rights are controlled by the prenup and you need to have it reviewed by an estates attorney to see where you stand. Listen, if you are not being taken care of under that agreement you have some really big problems legal and non-legal. Get with an expert estates attorney immediately.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Aida Milagros Del Valle

Aida Milagros Del Valle

Luckily, if you did not have a lawyer representing your interests during the pre-nup negotiation, or if you didn't have a full seven calendar days to review the pre-nup after it was presented to you, you may be able to claim its invalidity.

If your husband does not want to plan for you and your son, then you need to. I suggest you look into purchasing some life insurance on his life (you would own the policy so you are sure that the premiums are paid and that he cannot change beneficiaries). If you do decide to buy insurance, make sure you get either a 15 - 20 year "level premium term policy" or a universal life policy or a whole life policy (which is probably prohibitively expensive). A good insurance agent should be able to help you decide which type of policy would be best. Your husband will need to get a medical exam and he will have to sign documents giving you permission to own the policy.

You should also make sure you have your own will (and/or trust) in place to provide a guardian for your son if both you and your husband were to die and also to make sure that your estate passes to your son.

My office is in Palo Alto. If you'd like my assistance, please contact me.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

Hi, thanks for the answer. He had life insurance years ago, and in fact in his divorce settlement from exwife, he is required to have life insurance. Well, it got cancelled somehow (I think maybe it was through work and so he lost it when he no longer worked for the company and then the company was bought out). Nevertheless, he no longer has life insurance. He has diabetes and says no one would insure him. Is that true that he couldn't get life insurance now? He's less than 50 years old.

Janet Lee Brewer

Janet Lee Brewer

I am not a life insurance agent, so I don't know whether he would qualify for insurance or not - but even people with serious illnesses (or conditions like diabetes) can sometimes qualify - it just becomes very expensive.

Because there is a pre-nup and a revocable living trust, both of those documents need to be examined before your question can be answered. Generally, an omitted spouse is entitled to half of the community property, except for when there is some waiver or other agreement, like a prenup. You should consult with an attorney who can review the existing documents.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose.

It sounds like your husband has done a good job of making sure that things are set up so YOU do not get anything. That can certainly be changed, but you are not in a position to make those changes. Attorney Brewer gave you a good suggestion regarding the life insurance, provided your husband is willing to cooperate. That may give you a good foot in the door to discuss these matters with your husband. If he is concerned about you, this is something he should take care of.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Wills and estates topics