Husband was hit in my car, other party at fault but NO ins,can i file on my unins motorist for pain/suffering other md bills

Asked over 1 year ago - Laplace, LA

other party had no ins no licence incorrect tags no registration ON A MOTORBIKE. My truck will prob be totalled .2007 escalade less than 50000 mi. will my premiums go up if i file a claim for my husbands injury how does that work

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Robert Martin Louque Jr.

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . While I am not sure whether your premiums will go up, you can make a UM claim when the other driver is at fault and has no insurance or not enough insurance to cover your losses. Your policy may also provide for medical payments coverage which will also cover any medical expenses related to the accident. Your insurance company would also pay for the damages to your vehicle minus your deductible if you have collision coverage.

    I would speak to an attorney who can review your policy and advise you on the best course of action.

  2. Adam Stewart Lambert

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Yes, you can file a UM claim and NO, your premiums will not go up as a result. Louisiana law does not allow an insurer to raise your rates for making a UM claim. You should hire an attorney experienced in auto accidents to help you.

  3. Richard Ramsey Kennedy III

    Contributor Level 5

    Answered . If you have valid under-insured or uninsured motorist coverage you should be able to make a claim. Depending on the specific type of coverage you have, your claim may be limited to economic only claims.

    I suggest that you have your case reviewed by an attorney who can verify insurance coverages and the specifics of your unique case. If you have any questions, regarding the specifics of Louisiana laws, I would be honored to speak with you about your potential claim.

  4. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A lawyer in your state should review the coverage.

  5. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Access to your union police probably depends on what it provides. See attorney to review

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client... more

Related Topics

Pain and suffering for personal injury

Pain and suffering refers to physical and mental trauma caused by an injury, and is often a significant component of non-economic damages.

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,386 answers this week

2,550 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,386 answers this week

2,550 attorneys answering