Husband's divorce counter-claim includes adultery. Is there a punishment for adultery in Maryland?

Asked over 5 years ago - Frederick, MD

In September 2008, after 15 months of separation from my husband, I became pregnant with another man's child. I then filed for divorce (without a lawyer) using the grounds of One Year Separation. He filed a counter-complaint claiming adultery as the reason for our separation.

I have no job, not even a bank account. I'm living in a friend's basement and there are no other children involved. I don't care what reason we use for divorce, but I don't like that he's chosen to lie about the reason for our separation. Should I be concerned about the adultery claim, or can I just admit to it and move on with my life?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Marietta B. Warren

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You may be able to get some help through your local pro se office. Contact the clerk's office for the County in which your husband filed and see if they offer any services for financially qualified individuals. Regardless of your financial circumstances you should meet with an attorney to discuss your options.

    I wish I could give you more information, but you need to have someone review your husband's counter-complaint with you to figure out exactly what he is claiming and why he chose to file a counter-complaint --and you need to do it quickly since your time to file an answer is running. Believe it or not, adultery is a misdemeanor in Maryland subject to whopping $10 fine. While the criminal element is often disregarded these days, there are serious implications involved in admitting to adultery as grounds for divorce.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,084 answers this week

3,105 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,084 answers this week

3,105 attorneys answering