Skip to main content

Husband owns separate polluted property in WA. If sued for cleanup can marital property be taken?

Vancouver, WA |

He is on title for property before we married . If we buy a home after marriage and someone sues him for the cleanup, can they take or lien our house since his name would be on title of the home purchased together?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If the home is purchased during marriage it is likely community property. If some sort of tort liability is imposed because of pollution caused by the home, the community would be liable. If the community is liable, a lien may be attached to the house depending on the financial situation of the community. Based on the wording of your question, it is difficult to determine whether or not the community would be liable.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer