Husband of 16 years kicked me and my son out and moved his mistress in. Now doesn't want to pay and is staling the divorce.

Asked over 1 year ago - Rockville Center, NY

My Husband controls all the money , he makes over 140 , 000 a year . I have to take him to court for child support and spousal support , because he has not been paying regularly and when he does it isn't the same amount . He said i should take what i can get , He is a Union Ironworker , I don't have any money for a lawyer how can I get justice when all the lawyer want a retainer . None of them will accept getting the fee from him after the divorce . he also has money in a pension and topping out fund that I am entitled to half of . He was giving me $ 500 a week and told me that i will get less if i take him to court and is intimidating me . I have a 9 year old son and have only work part time due to my acute asthma condition . what are my chances , are there lawyers that will help

1. Jean M. Mahserjian

Pro

5

Answered . If he earns $140,000 per year and you work part time due to asthma and have custody of your 9 year old, you should be able to get an order directing him to pay some or all of your legal fees. You may need to consult with several attorneys before you find one willing to help you out without an advance retainer. You can also check with legal aid or your local bar association for a referral or an attorney who might be willing to take your case pro bono.

2. Marco Caviglia

Pro

3

Answered . You should also be able to obtain some attorney fees while the action is pending. Child support will be virtually assured, and from your facts, you will get temporary spousal support while the action is pending. Your chances are good. Unfortunately, your a little bit too far for me. Call your local bar association for some referrals.

3. David Alexander Browde

Pro

2

Answered . If your husband is the monied spouse he will have to pay for your lawyer. Go talk to someone local and get to court!

4. Howard E. Knispel

Pro

2

Answered . Many lawyers, such as myself, will take a relatively small retainer ($1500) until the make a motion to get your husband to pay your legal fees. You most likely will get a child support and spousal support award and eventually get your share of his retirement. Call an attorney to get more specific advice
    Howard E. Knispel, Esq
    Commack, N
    631-864-7589

5. Louis Lawrence Sternberg

Pro

2

Answered . On several occasions, I have worked out an arrangement with clients where there is no attorney's fee required up front with the understanding that the fee will be paid by the other spouse. Please feel free to call my office to discuss the matter or contact the Nassau County Bar Association.