Husband is trying to file I-130 but he doesn't have a job and he's facing criminal charges; so can he still file the form?

Asked 12 months ago - Fairfax, VA

married since july 2010. have a child together whose 8 months, he was born in argentina. i'm currently living in Argentina with our child. trying to do paperwork so our son and i can return to the u.s.a. husband is u.s. citizen age 22 years as am i.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

Answered . He can file an I-130 for your and your child. It is your character that is an issue in immigration proceedings, not his.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Pablo Husayn Nossa

2

Answered . You and your husband are USCs? When did you become citizens? Your child may have been born a USC if either one of you were USCs at the time of your child's birth. If that is the case, then there is no need to file an I-130, rather you would file for a certificate of birth abroad.

3. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

2

Answered . Anyone can file a form. Your question likely is whether the visa petition (I-130) will be approved. At the I-130 stage the question is the relationship between the parties, and in the case of the marriage, evidence that it is bona fide and not merely for immigration purposes. However, since you are outside the country, the subsequent consular process will require an Affidavit of Support from your husband to demonstrate that he can support you. If he is convicted and & incarcerated, he will be unable to get a job and provide the required financial evidence. You need to strategize with an immigration attorney and your husband needs a good criminal defense attorney to assure that your immigration will be successfully completed.

4. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

1

Answered . Issues to discuss with your attorney: whether the Adam Walsh Act applies here; whether the child is already a U.S. citizen and how to apply for a CRBA; affidavit of support requirements in regards to the financial issues. Best of luck.