Husband is on ICE hold for 72 hours what are his chances for being deported

Asked over 2 years ago - Pahrump, NV

Recently my husband was arrested for DV and instead of letting it go to trial he just plead guilty with his PD. I did nt think this was a good idea being we are awaiting approval for citzenship. He is Canadian and has no criminal record just something minor as a juvenial We have one 1year and a baby on the way. What are his chances for deportation Its really scarying me

1. Peter Lunt Ashman

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . Get legal advice ASAP. He may need to go back to court and have the plea renegotiated under Padilla v. Kentucky (google it). It is a deportable offense. Good luck, but you need help.

2. Christian Schmidt

1

1

Answered . You should consult with an immigration attorney for a review of the actual charge and conviction ASAP. A determination of the immigration consequences is necessary to evaluate his chances for release from ICE custody and likelihood of deportation. DV comes in different forms and shapes and can be grounds for removal of permanent residents.

3. C. C. Abbott

1

Answered . You need to collect all of his criminal case information and provide the information to an experienced immigration attorney for a legal opinion. Immigration law treats criminal adjudications differently than does criminal law. He should do this asap as he may be able to gain relief based on recent USSC case of Kentucky v. Padilla. Good luck.