Husband is on H1B visa, and DV filed against him, am i eligible for VAWA? we have a 4 yr old child and she is also included

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

Restraining orders violated by my ex husband and I have reported to the police criminal charges filed against him, He is on H1B visa, and we have a 4 yr old child born here in US, I have 100% custody, am I eligible for VAWA ?
please help me with some suggestions
Thanks

1. Laura Justine Jacobson

3

Answered . You won't be eligible for VAWA. To qualify for VAWA, your ex-husband had to be a citizen or a permanent resident -- merely having a lawful status is not enough. What you might qualify for is a U visa. This is for victims of certain crimes, including domestic violence, who have helped the police in an investigation, for example by making a police report. Talk to an immigration lawyer in your area who can guide you through this process.

2. Megan Anne Lantz

2

Answered . You are not eligible for VAWA because your Abuser is not a citizen or permanent resident. However, you may qualify for a U Visa. In order to qualify for a U Visa, you must show that you have been a victim of a qualifying crime (domestic violence in your case), possess information concerning the crime, were helpful or are likely to be helpful in the investigation or prosecution of the crime, and suffered substantial physical or mental abuse. You will need to get a certification from law enforcement stating that you have been a victim of a qualifying crime and were helpful or are likely to be helpful in the case. I recommend contacting an immigration attorney to assist you with your U Visa because your attorney will need to talk to law enforcement to obtain the certification. Good luck!

3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

4. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . I agree with my colleague.