Skip to main content

Husband is crack addict. Married for 25yrs. I Moved out of house, mortgage in his name only. Deed in my name. Divorcing soon.

Clearwater, FL |
Filed under: Deed to property

Is it to my benefit to file a quit claim deed?

Attorney Answers 4


If the mortgage is in his name only then only he will be liable. So yes quit claim the property to him

Mark as helpful


I would need to know alot more information to fully answer your question. If the house was purchased during the marriage, the house is considered martial property and is equally owned by your and your husband (it does not matter who name is on the deed). Also, the mortgage is also a marital debt and you may be responsible for half of that. I would contact an attorney to discuss this further.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice nor does it constitute an attorney-client relationship

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

1 comment

Seril L. Grossfeld

Seril L. Grossfeld


Talk to an attorney. Do not take short cut solutions to complex problems


This should be handled through a divorce and you need to find representation. Do not deed anything away before you do.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree with both other attorneys.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me at 954-567-4100. Also, if you liked this answer did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button

Mark as helpful

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics