Husband hit while on his bicycle...cited with ticket while in ER

Asked over 1 year ago - Lake Stevens, WA

Woman who hit him has insurance. However she didnt even slow down when she hit him. Third party claims he never stopped at stop sign. My husband said he slowed down, did not see her due to blind spot. He was already across the street when he was hit and he went up and over her hood and was thrown onto the ground and the bike went flying and she kept driving until finally stopping. I have heard since he was cited it can be hard to find an attorney and make a good case. I thought when a car hits a bike or pedestrian the fault is the driver regardless? We have a meeting with a attorney tomorrow but wondering if someone can shine some light on this situation. She has auto insurance and my husband has extensive injuries. Thank you

1. Jason Henry Schauer

10

1

Answered . We live in a pure state, meaning a jury would determine his fault as well as hers. This is a complex case. You are right in a way to ask what you do. Just because he wAs cited does not end the matter as "his fault." You said he was basically through the intersection. That is very significant. You need to have a good lawyer analyze all aspects of what happened. Though it does not help there is a disinterested witness saying your husband caused this and he was cuted for running the stop sign. But even so, all bets are not off because he broke the law and drivers are not allowed then to hit a cyclist. Your case is, again, complex and you need a good PI lawyer.

2. Scott W Edwards

Pro

9

2

Answered . Sounds like you are on the right track meeting with an attorney. To be clear however, a cyclist is subject to the same rules of the road as an automobile and can be found at fault if he or she was negligent. I actually recently wrote a blog post on this issue. You can access it via the link below. Based on what you are telling me, he may be found liable for his own injuries. Speak with your attorney and I'm sure he or she can properly advise you.

3. Christian A. Myer

Pro

10

1

Answered . Absolutely NOT! It is common to have this scenario. The injured party is taken by ambulance and the investigating officer conducts an investigation without one of the people present. Usually leads to the law enforcement officer really only having one side of the story and creates an idea based on side (even though they may speak to the other party later on...the story has already been created). Interview your attorney and make sure that they DO NOT take this at face value and will be aggressive in hiring experts early on to re create the accident. Ask your prospective attorney if they have any issues in litigating the matter after conducting a full investigation as these cases MUST be litigated more often than not. Good luck and check out local AVVO attorneys that litigate cases on a regular bases...Demand letters in situations like this do not get much traction.

4. Michael R Crosner

8

1

Answered . You are ABSOLUTELY doing the right thing by meeting with a personal injury attorney - this type of fact situation is difficult and an attorney is going to be needed. Best wishes for a spedy recovery for your husband

Pro

8

Answered . Also, have a local traffic court lawyer fight the citation.

6. Jeffrey Twersky

4

Answered . I would need more facts to discuss this in detail, but you are doing the right thing by seeking counsel ofan attorney.

7. Jacob Brian Smith

3

Answered . I'm so sorry about your husband, this must be a very difficult thing to go through. As for the liability issue, a ticket does not mean your husband is "per se" liable or that the driver is automatically off the hook. In WA, liability is apportioned according to fault. If your husband was 75% at fault and the other driver 25% liable, then your husband is entitled to 25% of the damages he has sustained. Good luck on your meeting tomorrow.

Jacob Smith