Skip to main content

Husband died of hospital acquired MRSA. Should I sue the hospital for mal practice on his behalf?

Detroit, MI |

My husband was 65 years old. He was in the hospital for a total of 78 days. He was admitted with dehydration from diahhrea. A colonoscopy was performed and he was found to have Ulcerative Colitis. He was sent home with medication, but got worse. He was readmitted 6 days later. They again rehydrated him with IV. He got worse .He was rushed into emergency surgery 3 days later with a perforated colon. They removed part of the colon and created a stoma for elmination. He seemed to be getting better and the doctors were talking about moving him to a rehab hospital to recuperate. Before that could happen, he developed a high fever and his blood pressure dropped he was rushed into ICU and intubated. I was told at this time that he had MRSA. He coded 3 times and was indubated in ICU 3 times. He was bleeding internally and was rushed into surgery and coils were implanted to try and stop the bleeding. He had several pick lines inserted over the 78days and IV's running nonstop. He had a catheter and developed a yeast infection as well. This spread into his blood stream as well as the MRSA. They were infusing protein as well as fluids. Blood transfusions almost daily. 2 days before he died they called in an infectious diseases doctor. He made changes in his medications. On the moning of his death, the surgeon decided to perform an exploratory operation of his abdomen. He told me afterward that he could not see anthing in the abdominal cavity that it was all black, I guess this was the pooling of blood. I didn't ask questions at that time, I was so overwhelmed with running back and forth to the hospital for 78days, I couldn't think straight. I am also 65 years old. He passed away that evening at 11:30. The death certificate reads: (A) Sepsis, (B) VRE Peritonitis, (C) Colon Perforaion and (D) Ulcerative Colitis. What should I do? I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else. Thank you for your time

Attorney Answers 1

  1. First off, I am sorry for your tragic loss. It's horrible to have to endure the loss of a loved one, especially under such tragic circumstances.

    You would want to contact a medical malpractice lawyer in your state. What this lawyer should do, is gather together the relevant medical records from your husband's hospital stay. Additionally, if you or your husband kept a diary or wrote down details during his ordeal, this should be highly protected. I would also highly recommend that if you have not written anything down about the ordeal (because you certainly went through a tough time) you should do so as soon as possible.

    The lawyer you choose should send out the medical records to a relevant expert physician. That expert physician will render an opinion which will determine whether a case exists which is strong enough to go forward. Based on the medical records, the physician will attempt to determine whether your husband's doctors were negligent, and deviated from the standards of care.

    I wish you luck with your case.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics