Husband claims to want divorce nothing legal as of yet, i do not work and i am financially dependant. husband cut off all fund

Asked over 2 years ago - Brooksville, FL

must make grocery list for food which he edits at his discretion. will not give gas money nor any other type of support.. do i have any legal recorse aside from divorce as i am unable to insigate divorce proceedings...husband owns company and makes a good income....can i open charge accounts and use moderatly for dr visits personal items shampoo toothpaste and such which he will not supply.

Additional information

in florida

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Joanna Marie Mitchell


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You can open whatever accounts you want or need to in order to be able to help take care of yourself. You should consult with an attorney immediately, as from what you have stated, it sounds as if you are in a very abusive and controlling relationship. You can also seek help from a local women's shelter if necessary.

    Detailed answers to many frequently asked questions regarding divorce, custody, visitation, child support, alimony, paternity and other Family Law matters are located on my website at Be sure to stop by and check it out! And of course, if you have a question that is not addressed, please feel free to email me directly.

    Should you wish to discuss this matter further, my office offers free initial telephone consultations. During the consultation, we can discuss the particulars of your situation in depth, as well as explore your potential rights and options. If you would like to coordinate a free initial telephone consultation, please contact my office at 407-971-6140 or 352-324-2444 to schedule same.

    Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements.

    Joanna Mitchell
    Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    614 E. Hwy 50, Suite 327
    Clermont, FL 34711-3164
    PH: (352) 324-2444
    FX: (352) 324-2229

    Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This... more
  2. Brent Allan Rose

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . No law prevents ou from opening charge accounts and using them for your expenses. Also, you didn't state why you aren't trying to get a job. You should talk to a lawyer about you possibility of obtaining some type of alimony if one of you files for divorce.

    The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy),... more
  3. John Arthur Smitten

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You have to find a way to free yourself of this situation. Your Husband should be responsible for payment of your attorney fees.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Dividing debts in a divorce

Responsibility for debts acquired during marriage may fall upon both parties after divorce, even if only one spouse incurred the debt.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,753 answers this week

3,302 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,753 answers this week

3,302 attorneys answering