Skip to main content

Husband being sued "personally" and "commercially" by a collection attorney for a business debt, at what stage can a wife be

Florence, KY |

added as a "joinder" in order to fulfill court appearance instead of husband? How and when is this done? What's the chance of convincing court that we (personally) are the "real party in interest" in order for us to be able to represent ourselves?

Attorney Answers 2


If the wife is not a party to the original debt and did not become a party prior to default joinder is not likley. However, a commercial agreement with a personal guarantee can be chock full of surprises. This is a matter where you need to have the documents which establish the debt reviewed by an attorney familiar with KY and Federal Law.

Mark as helpful


Depends upon whether the wife is a party to the debt. If so, she will be able to represent herself.

Mark as helpful

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics