Husband abandons me and our cerebral palsy child - Where to go for financial / legal advice

Chicago, IL |

Married woman with two kids (one is a totally disabled child, One has just started college). Husband is walking out after announcing 5 year affair - This is on top of just discovering his business is in serious financial debt. Where can I go for advice on how to handle this financially - keeping in mind that I cannot afford legal fees / advisor fees. Where is the best place to start ??

If you can not afford an attorney, then you should contact Cabrini Green Legal Aid, The Chicago Bar Association, the Legal Assistance Foundation, or the Women's Bar Association of Cook County.

There are legal aid societies who may be able to assist you.

You can also go straight to the State's Attorney and tell them you need "IV-D" help and pay the $25 fee and they will haul your husband into court for child support. You can afford that and the State's Attorney has lots of tools to get deadbeat dads to cough up child support. Here is an overview http://www.chicagoappleseed.org/programs/child_support_reform/study_of_cook_county_child_support_enforcement_division/overview applicable to Cook County.

So far, this is free to you. Until you pay a fee, I am not your lawyer and you are not my client, so you take any free advice at your sole risk. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

Thanks for all the replies to date - most helpful.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

it is not the states atty that she should go to. it is the illinois dept. of healtcare and family services.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

If on welfare or wanting to get on welfare, the DCFS, which will enlist the State's Attorney to obtain recovery of their costs from the non-custodial parent. If not on welfare, then the state's atty directly.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

The IDPA is the IV-D agency for IL, but it contracts out to the State's Attorney to provide IV-D legal representation.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

no longer called ill dept of public aid. now called ill dept of healthcare and family services. people needing child support assistance go to the dept, not the states atty. the dept refers to the states atty. intake is done at the dept. that is what i said. dcfs has nothing to do with this. i see you do not do family law. maybe that is why you did not know the correct place and name of the agency to send her.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

Thanks. I do try to avoid the public aid cases and now know to send them to IDHFS. The SA just takes a few notes and sends these there, alerting law enforcement if the situation warrants. Downstate the SA's are often more helpful and sympathetic as a "first responder" in the law.