Husband abandons me and our cerebral palsy child - Where to go for financial / legal advice

Married woman with two kids (one is a totally disabled child, One has just started college). Husband is walking out after announcing 5 year affair - This is on top of just discovering his business is in serious financial debt. Where can I go for advice on how to handle this financially - keeping in mind that I cannot afford legal fees / advisor fees. Where is the best place to start ??

Chicago, IL -

David Matthew Gotzh

David Matthew Gotzh

Family Law Attorney - Chicago, IL

If you can not afford an attorney, then you should contact Cabrini Green Legal Aid, The Chicago Bar Association, the Legal Assistance Foundation, or the Women's Bar Association of Cook County.

Sponsored Listing
Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

Intellectual Property Law Attorney - Alton, IL

You can also go straight to the State's Attorney and tell them you need "IV-D" help and pay the $25 fee and they will haul your husband into court for child support. You can afford that and the State's Attorney has lots of tools to get deadbeat dads to cough up child support. Here is an overview http://www.chicagoappleseed.org/programs/child_... applicable to Cook County.

Scott David Rogoff

Scott David Rogoff

Family Law Attorney - Des Plaines, IL

There are legal aid societies who may be able to assist you.

Sponsored Listing