Husband abandoned wife and kid. What are the options for wife?

Asked 12 months ago - Little Rock, AR

My husband anbandoned me and my 1 month old daughter. I tried to contact him through phone or email. He threatens me that he would complaint against me. He does not support me and my duaghter. How to handle this situation?

1. Scott Allen Scholl

Pro

2

Answered . I would suggest that you file a lawsuit against him, sooner rather than later, so that you can obtain a court order for support and, if needed, that he help with debts.

The particular lawsuit is a personal decision that you need to make, but an attorney can help you understand the options so you can make an informed decision.

Some options are Separate Maintenance, which does not affect the marital relationship but allows for the payment of support, custody, visitation, possession of property, etc.

There are also two different types of divorce - an absolute divorce (which is what most people think of when they think 'divorce') or a limited divorce (sometimes called a 'divorce from bed and board,' and is similar to what many states would refer to as a 'legal separation'.).

2. Debra Joan Cheatham Reece

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Scholl. Your best option is to hire a private family law attorney like him to help you. If you cannot afford to do that, you have a couple of other options. You can contact Central Arkansas Legal Services, which will help low-income people in divorce/custody/child support situations (although they are very overbooked, so it will take a while to get you through the process); or if you are not looking to file for divorce at this time, you can contact the Pulaski County Office of Child Support Enforcement and they will file a child support lawsuit on your behalf against your husband. That way, their lawyers are handling your case and they simply take a small percentage of the child support paid as a processing fee (and if they have attorney fees, the courts make the party paying the child support pay those fees -- not you). Again, they have a lot of cases, so if you can hire a private family law attorney, that's the fastest and easiest way to get the help you need.

3. Aaron Scott Hill

1

Answered . Contact your local Office of child support enforcement to start a child support case, keep records of any correspondence, and you may want to talk to a local attorney to get full custody and visitation only at your discretion.