Hurricane Sandy - Rental abatement?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hoboken, NJ

Space 1: In rental Apt. Tues thru Monday we were gone - had no heat. We heard they turned the power back on Sunday. We had hot water but sick person in house. We do not have a lease. Do we have to pay full rent for Dec.?

Other place we rent -a studio- was part way under water - literally. Landlord is pressuring for rent but we were unable to use property for 3 wks. We sublet and have a contract with the women who rents the overall space, but she has no lease with the building. She is demanding rent, but there was no elevator - i'm on 6th floor and there was no heat or water. I also had severe allergies and could not enter the bldg. when I tried. What to do?

1. Sandra A Joseph

Answered . Is the heat back on? Yes, you have to pay for the rent for dec on space no 1. Did you ever have a lease? The provisions in the lease continue. NJ is not like rent stabilization in NYC where a LL must provide services. I think I answered your question before it depends on whether the LL hand control over providing the services. Was the studio a commerical space or another residential apt?