Skip to main content

Huge Paycheck Available. Pro Bono. Section 1983 claim. false arrest, false imprisonment. 0 priors. No conviction. Pitch to ACLU.

Phoenix, AZ |

I need a fearless pro bono/contingency attorney who will pursue a tort lawsuit against the US Attorney and the US Marshal Service. I have been imprisoned for over 3 1/2 years now "awaiting trial". I have no criminal history. I have never been to trial. I have not been offered "reasonable bail", and my "Affidavit in Support of a Detention Review by Writ of Habeas Corpus" was sealed over my objections, and remains sealed today. Motion to Suppress filed in July 2013, and used to leverage my release from private prison and into "domicile detention", but still has not been ruled on -- suspended pending "psychiatric evaluation". GPS ankle bracelet to "ensure my appearance" at a "trial" that will never occur. In reality, Tortured/medicated into signing a confession while in custody.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    'Huge paycheck available' is going to get you the kind of lawyer who is going to take YOUR case after a close review. Best option, reach out to civil rights attorneys in your area--lay out the facts, stay away from the hyperbole--it’s a red flag that something isn't right--many attorneys will pass on your case facts just because of the approach.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

  2. First of all, unfortunately, this forum doesn't really function as a jobs bulletin board, so you may not get much in the way of a response to your post. You will have to take the initiative and contact attorneys to find one to represent you.

    Also, I doubt if you are going to find a pro bono attorney for your case and many Civil Rights attorneys only take cases with significant value to them, however, my understanding has always been that most Civil Rights attorneys take their cases on the basis that if they prevail they are awarded attorney’s fees that have to be paid by the defendants. The Civil Right statutes are set up that way to encourage attorneys to provide representation. In fact, attorney fee awards can include increases in the amount awarded based upon factors like the complexity of the case. On that basis, if you have a viable claim you may be able to find a Civil Rights practitioner to represent you.

    Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Avvo to begin your search for attorneys. You should also be aware that in my experience public agencies often aggressively defend these types of cases....

    THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

  3. This is a general information forum. If you are looking for an attorney, it is best to use the find a lawyer tab above. You have pending criminal charges and want to find an attorney to sue the government. You have to take care of the criminal case before you can even think of suing.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

Pro bono representation topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics