Huge issues in apartment after kitchen ceiling leak- plumbers said they can't disclose findings to us...what are our rights?

Asked 3 months ago - San Diego, CA

Endless problems in a rotting building. Plumbers investigating huge leak were gravely concerned about a number of things that were looked at over two full days of digging (moisture meters, evidence of leaks, badly corroded pipes, mold, recessed lighting failing bcoz of possible water, shifting building, etc) , but said they couldn't disclose their findings to us, just could make recommendations to our property management company. Do we have the right to request the plumbing company's findings from the property managers? We know they are wanting to put a bandaid on a broken leg and without having those findings in writing, we won't be able to prove it. The building is increasingly dilapidated and needs to be investigated, but we are trying to stay one step ahead until that happens. TY

1. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

1

Answered . Call the city and ask them to come out and check the building and get a copy of the report. Mold is very dangerous.

2. Blake Edward Wilson

Pro

Answered . I agree with the previous answer. In addition, you need to contact your landlord in writing about the problem, even though I assume he is already on notice. The Warranty of Habitability will, based on your circumstances, most probably allow you to reduce your rent, and possibly allow you to arrange temporary housing fully paid until the situation is remedied. Mold is very dangerous and can cause serious health issues for you and your family. I suggest contacting a local attorney to go over all of your rights with you, and it would probably be wise to have said attorney draft a letter to your landlord covering the above. Best of luck to you, and stay safe!