HR denied letter to verify my hire date, I am out on worker's comp unless I say why. Signed up for health benefits w/o consent

Asked almost 2 years ago - Charlotte, NC

HR refused to release a letter that I requested unless I tell them why I want It. I only requested them to verify my date of hire, that I am out on worker's compensation & the return date that the excuse had. Do I have to tell them what it is for? Are they allowed to sign me up for health insurance without my permission or knowledge, pay for it and then demand payments while I am out on workers's compensation.

1. Bobby L. Bollinger Jr.

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . The employer probably cannot exclude you from the group health plan without violating federal law, so the answer is yes, they can sign you up for it. You may be able to exclude yourself from coverage. You will have to ask them. Of course, having health insurance coverage is a good thing, so think carefully about it before you opt out of coverage.

2. Kirk J. Angel

Pro

2

1

Answered . No, you are not required to tell them what the letter is for. On the other hand, they are not required to give you the letter.

3. George Ellis Corson IV

Answered . You can opt out of Insurance, but then you are uninsured. Insurance should be high on your list of priorities.