HR denied letter to verify my hire date, I am out on worker's comp unless I say why. Signed up for health benefits w/o consent

Charlotte, NC |

HR refused to release a letter that I requested unless I tell them why I want It. I only requested them to verify my date of hire, that I am out on worker's compensation & the return date that the excuse had. Do I have to tell them what it is for? Are they allowed to sign me up for health insurance without my permission or knowledge, pay for it and then demand payments while I am out on workers's compensation.

The employer probably cannot exclude you from the group health plan without violating federal law, so the answer is yes, they can sign you up for it. You may be able to exclude yourself from coverage. You will have to ask them. Of course, having health insurance coverage is a good thing, so think carefully about it before you opt out of coverage.

2. No, you are not required to tell them what the letter is for. On the other hand, they are not required to give you the letter.

Kirk J. Angel is an experienced North Carolina licensed attorney who focuses his practice on employment law. Mr. Angel, who has focused on employment law for more than 15 years, represents clients throughout North Carolina and more information about him is available at www.theangellawfirm.com This response is for general informational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. Additionally, this response does not create an attorney client relationship. If you need legal advice, please contact a lawyer in your state who practices in the appropriate area.

3. You can opt out of Insurance, but then you are uninsured. Insurance should be high on your list of priorities.

We give free general concepts to be helpful, but you should give ALL your facts to a licensed Attorney in your state before you RELY upon any legal advice.