Skip to main content

Howcan i get a medical evaluation of my husband's medical records related to damages from negligence in jail for lawsuit?

Cincinnati, OH |

my husband almost died from lithium toxicity in jail. he has serious permanent injuries from it. we're not sure of the extent of it but i need an idea of what they exactly are to make my case for an attorney to represent him. i am on ssdi and don't have much money

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Seek an experienced injury lawyer in your area. Chances are a personal injury attorney will agree to meet with you for no fee or a very low fee for purposes of evaluating your case. Should the attorney agree to represent you, most injury attorneys do not bill by the hour, but instead, take a percentage (contingency fee) of any recovery you may receive. Expenses, such as expert witness fees, are commonly the responsibility of the client, but an attorney may agree to 'front' the fee and take it out of any recovery you may receive. Keep in mind, however, that most contingency fee contracts do make the client responsible for paying any and all expenses in the chance you do not recover.

Disclaimer: This does not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through this answer.


You will need to meet with an attorney who handles both civil rights cases and medical malpractice cases to review what you know in detail. Because your husband is a convicted inmate, the quality of the medical care that he is entitled to is not necessarily the same as a non-convicted, non-incarcerated citizen. The attorney who will investigate your case will likely advance the monies for the investigation. Best regards.


I suggest you contact a personal injury attorney. The attorney could have your husband execute the appropriate medical releases and obtain copies of his jail Medical records.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer